Monday, June 6, 2011

"Hello mam"



Some of the older girls after VBS this morning
VBS started this morning, about an hour late! We are on IST, India Standard Time, or as they call it, India Stretchable Time. When they say be somewhere at 7:00, you can plan for at least 30 minutes of wiggle room. Guess this is the Lord's way of breaking my type-A, control-freak personality!

The first day was chaos. Complete chaos. But wonderful, beautiful, exciting chaos. We already had over 1000 kids the first day, we think. We haven't gotten the final totals yet, but our partners estimated about that many. This is incredible because we were praying for this number by the end of the week and we're already there, first day. Please pray that each and every single one of these children will come to know Christ by the end of this week. We know that God is powerful and faithful to do that, and we must expect great things from Him because He is a great God! We can't put human boundaries on His work here this week. I'm especially struggling with this, so please pray He will show me His power and completely blow through my expectations!

The children absolutely love our team because we're American. We're like rockstars here. They come up and say "hello mam, what is your name?" and stick out their hands. Now, if you shake one hand, be prepared to shake about 20, at least. I would not be exaggerating to say I shook about 300 hands today. They are so sweet though and I love them! They love to try out their English on us, and we try our Hindi phrases, but then they start speaking Hindi and I'm lost. Haha. I love them!

I am no longer teaching 4-6 year olds, but 10-12. I am so excited! I'll have to tell you that whole story later, but God is so so good in this! Very cool. I have an incredible translator, words cannot describe how thankful I am for her! She gets the kids so involved and excited about the lesson!

It is 11:00 and I have to be up at 5:00, so I'm going to cut this one short. Please be praying for Ashley and Daniel in the rec room. It is seriously hotter in that room than it is outside, which is saying a lot. Daniel got sick today, we're not sure if it was from the heat or a stomach bug, but please be praying he will be well. Pray for me as I transition from teaching lessons I had planned for 4-6 year olds to now teaching 10-12 year olds. And pray that God will continue to show His power to us through the numbers of children both attending VBS and who hear and trust in the Truth of the Gospel that is being presented this week. Oh, and I think I'll be sharing my testimony at a house church tomorrow night, so please please please be praying the Lord will give me the words to say so that the believers here will be encouraged in Him. More to come later, Jai Masikhi! Praise His Holy name!!


The kids in the worship room before it was full

The beautiful girls who asked to have a picture with me,
wouldn't let me just take their picture

Kids we met at the house church who also came to VBS

1 comment:

  1. Mal! Love the blog. So glad yall made it to India safely. What beautiful children! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete